Thursday, February 21, 2013

Vegan banh mi

When I went vegan, I knew that even though I felt so much happier and healthier, there were some of my favourite dishes that I would have to give up. In particular, Vietnamese food. Two years ago, the idea of 'veganising' traditional Vietnamese cuisine didn't even exist. In the present day however, things are so different and with the help of my mum and the Internet, I have found vegan versions of the following Vietnamese dishes (all of which I absolutely love):

Banh Xeo (Vietnamese pancake)
Pho
Banh bao
Banh chung (Lunar cake)
Goi cuon (Vietnamese rice paper rolls)

and today I have included vegan banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich) to that hopefully ever growing list.


I used the recipe from The Chubby Vegetarian and just excluded the egg to make it vegan friendly. This recipe was by far the best one I found and it definitely delivered. It was so good that I had it for lunch and dinner! (even though it's vegan, I'm pretty sure that it's not all that healthy, so maybe don't do what I did). Instead of the egg, I used a thin slice of tofu and tempeh which I cooked in the same pan as the mushrooms so that the flavour infused into the tofu and tempeh. Both flavours worked well together.

So if you've never had a Vietnamese pork roll/baguette, then I strongly recommend you get yourself to the nearest Asian grocery store and get your hands on one of these bad boys; or if you're a fellow Viet vegan like myself, then open that link and start cooking.  

1 comment:

  1. That looks insanely good!!! I love the idea of cooking tofu with shrooms to get more flavour. Never let your diet hold you back from eating xD

    ReplyDelete