Saturday, March 2, 2013

Nutmeat spaghetti bolognese

I tried a new vegan meat substitute today. Ok, don't get grossed out. It's called Nutmeat. I first heard about it a while back when a friend told me to try it but just the idea of nuts being made into a meaty textured food product kinda put me off. That was before I started trying all sorts of weirdo foods and flavour combinations. 


A good friend of mine ordered spaghetti bolognese the other day when we went out to dinner, so I had a bit of a craving for it. I've tried plenty of recipes for bolognese sauce. I've used just tomato sauce and blended up vegetables, I've made a cauliflower recipe and I've used tofu as well. All of them have been yum, but this nutmeat recipe has been the best so far. It's much more 'meatier' and because I like my bolognese sauce thick, this recipe is a winner. 

This is the recipe I used which I adapted from a vegan recipe website:

Vegan Nutmeat spaghetti bolognese:

Ingredients:
  • 1 Can Nutmeat
  • 1 large tin Tomatoes
  • 1 jar Pasta Sauce
  • 2 Medium Onions (chopped finely)
  • 2 cloves Garlic (crushed) - I used 4 because I really love garlic
  • 2 Tbspn tomato paste
  • 2 Small Carrots (finely chopped)
  • 2 cups Broccoli (finely chopped)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano 
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Pasta for serving
  • Olive Oil for cooking
Directions:
  1. Cook onion & garlic in pan with oil until tender.
  2. Chop the nutmeat finely and add this to the onions and garlic along with the tomatoes, pasta sauce and tomato paste and stir together then cook for 5 mins on medium heat.
  3. Add finely chopped vegetables and simmer for a further 10 minutes or until cooked through.
  4. Add seasonings (salt & pepper) to taste.
  5. Serve wtih Spaghetti Pasta

This was another vegan meal that my brother liked. My brother will do anything to avoid fruits and vegetables and so it says aaaaah lot when he likes my vegan recipes. A whole lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment