Thursday, May 2, 2013

Balsamic roasted vegetables

I really enjoy cooking during winter time. I love eating a big bowl of something hot, whether it be a casserole, soup or curry. It's these types of hot and hearty winter comfort foods that I just don't cook during the hotter months.

One of my favourite all-year-round dishes is roast vegetables. When I was in Melbourne I had a great balsamic roast vegetable side dish from the restaurant Gasolina, and ever since then I've just been craving roast veggies.

Whenever I roast up veggies, I usually just use olive oil and pepper (sometimes a bit of paprika and cumin too), but I decided to try my hand at balsamic roast veggies because when the vegetables caramelise in the oven, the tangy balsamic vinegar becomes sweeter and it just tastes delicious.

I found a good recipe from the website Bon Appetit. The recipe calls for the dressing to be made a day in advance but I didn't have the time so I just used it straight away. This recipe was very good, so I can only imagine how much better it would taste if I left the flavours to develop over night. 

I served this dish up with tomato couscous with capers which I made a few weeks ago, as well and some vegan sausages. 

This dish was certainly a hit with my dad and brother and it's perfect for stormy nights like tonight. 

I haven't made too many soup recipes, so I'm looking forward to trying out some new recipes and sharing them with out over the winter. 

Also, I just wanted to say thanks for reading. I've really come to appreciate how supportive my friends have been of this blog. Sometimes I find that I have to self motivate myself to think of something new, but there is no greater feeling than when someone else is right there with me :)



Balsamic Roasted Vegetables

Serves 4

Ingredients

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil  
4 garlic cloves, pressed
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil
2 large red onions, cut into wedges
1/2 medium sized pumpkin, cut into chunks
1 large zucchini, cut into 1.5cm thick rounds
2 large carrorts, cut into  1.5cm thick rounds
1 large beetroot, cut into wedges
Coarse kosher salt

**Note: you can cut the vegetables to any desired size or thickness. If you cut them into chunky pieces, just increase the cooking time until they are tender...or if you're like me, just cook them until they are very brown around the edges.

Preparation

Whisk vinegar and mustard in medium bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Stir in garlic, thyme, and basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. (Or you can just use straight away if you don't have time)

Preheat oven to 220°C. Toss vegetables in large bowl; sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper. Add dressing; toss to coat. Divide between 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Roast until vegetables are tender and slightly brown around edges, about 35 minutes. (I cooked mine for nearly an hour because I like them very well browned)

No comments:

Post a Comment