Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tofu pumpkin bars

I borrowed out a book from the library the other week called Now Vegan! by Lynda Stoner. As I was flicking through the pages, I was really glad to find a recipe for tofu pumpkin bars. I had a container full of pumpkin puree that I needed tp use up and this recipe was perfect.

I haven't used tofu in a cake recipe before and so at first I was a bit iffy about how it would taste. These bars however turned out super moist and I coulnd't taste the tofu at all. 

These bars need to set for at least 5 hours, but I couldn't help myself and I had a taste test :P

These will be perfect for a quick breakfast or snack. They're so quick to make too! 

Here's the recipe I used if you're interested (it's a little bit different from the original which called for 2 cups of pumpkin puree. I only had one, so I added extra banana and applesauce instead):

Tofu Pumpkin Bars

Ingredients
  • 120g (4oz) soft tofu
  • 1 mashed banana
  • 2 cups applesauce (I used pureed some apples)
  • 1 cup pumpkin
  • 1 cup sweetener (I used Stevia)
  • 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon mixed spice (or all spice)
Directions
  1.  Preheat oven to 180C
  2. Blend the tofu, apples, pumpkin, banana and sugar
  3. Add cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and mixed spice
  4. Transfer to a mixing bowl and fold in baking powder and flour
  5. Pour into baking tray lined with baking paper
  6. Bake for 25-30 minutes
  7. Allow to set for 5 hours before cutting into bars

No comments:

Post a Comment