Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Vegan healthy Blogilates banana, apple, berry crepes

I've been following the Blogilates cheap clean eats recipes on Instagram, and the other week a recipe was posted up for healthy banana berry crepes

We're currently in winter over here in Perth and so strawberries are a bit hard to find because they're not in season, but someone had given my mum a whole bunch the other week. I don't know why, but I was the only one eating them in my family. They tasted fine to me. How could anyone not want to eat them?

I wanted to quickly finish them off because they were getting mushy so I decided to make my dad and I a healthy breakfast using Cassey Ho's crepe recipe and the soon to be old strawberries in my fridge. 

The recipe on the Blogilates website is not vegan so I substituted egg-replacer for the eggs. I doubled the recipe, and in doing so, I ended up adding 2 teaspoons to the crepe batter. This made them very brown and so when I cooked them they looked like chocolate pancakes. Not very pretty. And these crepes were quite fragile and so when I flipped them they didn't hold their shape all that well either. Again, not very pretty. 

I was so very tempted to just make the crepes again so I could have a half decent photo to post up, but I decided to just stick with my original batch. Besides, my dad said they looked OK. That's good enough for me. 

Vegan banana, apple and berry crepes

Serves 2

Ingredients
  • Egg replacer for 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (if you really like cinnamon, then sprinkle some into the sauteed apples)
  • 2 bananas
  • 2/3 oats
  • 1/2 almond or any non-dairy milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 servings Stevia (I used vanilla soy-milk above so I didn't end up using any Stevia)
  • Strawberries
  • 1 apple, peeled and sliced
  • Agave or maple syrup
Directions
  1. Mix your dry ingredients together (oats, cinnamon, Stevia) and blend into a fine powder in a Magic Bullet or regular blender.
  2. Combine egg replacer powder with water as per instructions on the packet (for me it was 1 teaspoon + 2 tablespoons was the equivalent of 1 egg)
  3. Then add a ripe banana, egg replacer and milk. Blend!
  4. If the batter is too thick, slowly add the water until it  reaches the consistency you desire
  5. Take your batter and pour into a pan on low-medium heat. Just a thin layer!
  6. After you see mini bubbles form on top, flip it! 
  7. This batter was a bit thick and it made 4 large crepes
  8. Heat a pan with spray oil and sauteed apple slices until soft.
  9. Now fill up your crepe with the other banana, strawberries and the sauteed apples. 
  10. Drizzle with agave or maple syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment