Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Vegan peppermint hot chocolate

For many weeks now I have wanted to brew up a nice cup of mint hot chocolate but all the recipes I have found used either peppermint extract or crushed up candy canes and I have neither of those in my pantry. I do however have peppermint tea bags but wasn't sure if they would work as well. Hence, I put off making the vegan hot cup of goodness until I bought some peppermint extract.

I managed to get down to the shops yesterday and buy some of the extract. When I hopped onto Google to pull up a recipe however, the first one I stumbled across was a recipe which used peppermint tea bags. I could have done with this recipe a few weeks ago. But never mind, at least I know for next time that the tea bags will be fine to use. 

I found some great recipes from here and here but I ended up making some of my own slight variations. 

I really enjoyed this version of the good ol' hot chocolate drink. Up until a few years ago I never used to be a peppermint drink fan, but my ways have changed and now taste buds are even happier having tasted peppermint hot chocolate. If you know you like peppermint tea and you like hot chocolate, then go ahead and try any of the recipes I've linked on my blog. You might really enjoy one of them and if it's winter where you are too, then it'll make for a great accompaniment on that couch rugged up under a blankie. 


Vegan peppermint hot chocolate

Serves 1

Ingredients
  • 1 cup vanilla soy milk 
  • 2 teaspoons dutch processed cocoa powder (I like mine extra rich so maybe you can start off with 1 teaspoon and adjust the amount according to your taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
Directions
  1. Whisk the soy milk and cocoa powder in a pot until hot (not boiling).
  2. Turn off heat and stir in the peppermint extract.
  3. Enjoy this drink in your favourite mug :)
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment