Sunday, July 21, 2013

Fremantle

My friends invited me out to participate in a photography shoot for a project called Walk Over October. The project aims to raise awareness of the transport, health, recreational and environmental benefits of regular walking. 

The photo shoot was recruiting people to be in the photo with their car or bike, or to be a pedestrian. My friends and I registered to be pedestrians in the photo along with about 70 other people.  The photo involved us standing in a group in the middle of High St in Fremantle alongside a bus.

I look forward to seeing how the photos all turn out. If I see the photo around Perth in the next couple of weeks, I'll post up the picture on the blog :)

The pedestrians were asked to arrive in Freo at 8am, and after we got our names ticked off we were given vouchers for a free hot drink from the cafe Moore & Moore on Henry St. This is a very indie hipster little place and from what I gathered, it was attached to an art gallery. It's a great place to check out, and very friendly staff too. Make your next coffee catch up here if you're in the area.






The photoshoot took place around 9 in the morning, and we were finished within an hour. We decided to explore Fremantle for the rest of the afternoon, and we ended up doing a lot of new things I've never done before. 




One of the lovely buildings around Freo.


We decided to have lunch in Freo, but it was still too early so we decided to check out the Round House which overlooks the coast. I never really knew about the Round House until just recently when my friend told me the story of how he proposed to this wife there, and even more recently when I found out that it was used to house people diagnosed with insanity back in the 1800s.

It was such a lovely view from the cliff that the Round House is situated. On one side was an amazing view of High St, and the other was a beautiful view of the coast. Just breath taking. 

The clouds were also beautiful today too, so it made for some lovely photos. 


The Round House.

A view of High st from The Round House.





When lunch time came around we decided to eat at a place called Breaks Fremantle. I really like the menu here! The place does an all day breakfast as well as burgers, pasta, seafood and some Asian dishes. They do freshly squeezed juices too!

I am such a burger lover and I really loved the variety in their burger menu. I had the Flaming Greeny which had a spiced lentil patty, grilled aubergine (eggplant), mushrooms, avocado, tomato, rocquet, chilli jam and chilli mayonnaise (all you vegans out there will have to hold the mayo). This amazing burger is the best I've eaten in Perth thus far since going vegan. I am such a fan of spicy burgers, and this one was just so tasty. I will have fond memories of eating that burger for months to come...until I find something better that is. 

The prices on the menu were what you'd expect for a Perth restaurant so I'm not really complaining. The cafe itself is quite nice and it's what you'd expect from Fremantle. Very indie. There is outside and inside dining, and a lovely little area out the back too. The icing on the cake however, was the live entertainment :) There was a little set up near the entrance of the cafe where a guy played his guitar. A very talented performer. 



Apple, pear, lemon and rockmelon




The cute dining area out the back.


We also had a quick look at the record store next door to Breaks Fremantle. A very cool little shop with lots of vintage records. 








I love Freo. There's so much I've yet to discover. I'm looking forward to my next trip down to this lovely town by the coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment