Saturday, July 13, 2013

Vegan Mushroom Gravy

I was meant to make mushroom gravy yesterday to accompany my Love Bowl, but the fact that I didn't have mushrooms was a big factor influencing why I chose to make the peanut sauce instead. 

However, I did get my hands on some mushrooms today and so decided to whip up the recipe for mushroom gravy from my You Won't Believe It's Vegan! cookbook. 

It tasted just as I remember gravy tasting. It went well with the Love Bowl, and now I have something to pour over my vegan sausages too. 

Vegan Mushroom Gravy

Yields about 3 1/2 cups

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 medium sized onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme
  • 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
  • 1 pound button mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable stock (I just used 1 teaspoon celery salt)
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
  • 1/4 tamari
  • 2 tablespoons kudzu (or about 1 tablespoon arrowroot)
  • 1/3 cup water
Directions
  1. In a large pot, saute the onion, garlic, thyme and rosemary in the olive oil until onions are soft. Add the mushrooms and cook until they have released their juices.
  2. Mix the stock and the water together and add to the pot along with the tamari. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
  3. Make a slurry from the kudzu and the remaining water, and add to the pot. Cook the gravy until it has thickened. I suggest adding the kudzu or arrowroot slowly until it reaches the thickness that you like. 
  4. Will keep for 4 to 5 days refridgerated. 
Not only is this the first time making vegan mushroom gravy, but it's the first time I've used the gravy bowl :P

No comments:

Post a Comment