Sunday, July 14, 2013

Vegan sunflower seed burgers

I am always down for a burger. Any time any place. I don't mind if I'm chowing down on an unhealthy burger every now and then, but it's good when they're guilt free too. 

I have a bag of sunflower seeds in my pantry that have been sitting there for a while. I Googled some vegan sunflower seed burger patty recipes and found this quick and easy one from The Vegan Chickpea. I didn't have any carrots so I substituted them for zucchini and cauliflower. 

I really enjoyed these burgers and they filled the house with such a delicious aroma. 

Since I was already trying to use up food in my pantry, I decided to whip up some white bean hummus to go along with the burger. Such a good combination. Nom nom noms. 



Vegan Sunflower Seed Burger Patties

Makes 4 patties

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup of uncooked brown rice
  • 1/2 cup filtered water (I used about 1 cup)
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup grated zucchini
  • 1/4 cup cauliflower (processed in the food processor)
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Directions
  1. Rinse rice.  In a small saucepan, bring water to boil.  Add rice, cover, and cook according to directions.  When rice is done cooking, set aside. 
    Preheat oven to 200C (400F).  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 
  2. Using your food processor, pulse sunflower seeds about 10 times, just enough to break the kernels up.  
  3. Add brown rice, zucchini, cauliflower, garlic and salt.  Alternate between pulsing and processing every 10 seconds until mixture begins to clump together.  The key is that you want to keep the texture, but they also need to hold together.
  4. Form mixture into 4 patties.  Place on prepared baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, flipping after 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and serve immediately
You can find the white bean hummus recipe from Vegan Urbanite or you can use any other hummus or sauce in your burger. I also added some dijon mustard in mine for some tang. 


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm what are the sliced white things under the tomato in the burger? I thought it was sliced hard boiled egg at first....but youre vegan =/

    ReplyDelete