Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Vegan fruit pizza

I had some pizza dough left over from the portobello and kale calzone that I made a few days ago and decided to use it to make a vegan dessert pizza.

I browsed Google to find some inspiration and came across the awesomeness that is the fruit pizza. I had a look at a few different vegan recipes and found that most of them consisted of a pizza base, vegan cream cheese topping and then fresh fruit.

I really wasn't sure of how a fruit pizza would taste, because fresh fruit and bread doesn't really compliment each other in my mind. None the less, this was definitely something I wanted to try before making a judgement. 

I invited the girls over to help me make and eat the pizza. We used all the different fruits that we had at home, and I went out and bought some fresh raspberries and blueberries. 

A lot of the cream cheese recipes I read required icing sugar, but instead I used a cream cheese icing recipe from the Blogilates cheap clean eats site.

I was quite surprised at how nice this dessert was. It was fresh and quite light. The pizza base went well with the cream cheese and fruit, and we served it with vegan vanilla ice cream which added to the yumminess. 

What I was so happy about was that my brother tried some too and enjoyed it. He even came back for thirds!! Love that kid. 



Vegan cream cheese topping

Makes about 1 cup

Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons Tofutti (vegan cream cheese)
  • 4 tablespoons vegan vanilla yogurt (or any vegan yogurt)
  • 2 teaspoons agave nectar (add more if you want it sweeter)
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor and chill until ready to use. 

Vegan Fruit Pizza

Ingredients
  • Pizza dough
  • vegan cream cheese topping (above)
  • A selection of your favourite fresh fruit
Directions
  1. Make your pizza dough and cook in oven until crispy and lightly brown. Take out of oven and leave to cool on a cooling rack. 
  2. While the pizza base is cooling, make your vegan cream cheese topping and cut your fruit. 
  3. Once pizza base has cooled completely, spread the topping on and arrange the fruit in any pattern you like. 
  4. Serve with vegan ice cream and dust it lightly with icing sugar. I also served mine with some left over vegan yogurt :)



No comments:

Post a Comment