Saturday, August 3, 2013

Vegan Quinoa Pilaf with Kale and Corn

The lovely family I work for are often giving me a bunch of fresh kale from their garden. I always love when this happens because it feels so wonderful to be on the receiving end of such a kind gesture. I count myself very lucky to be working in such a warm environment. 

What I love about kale is that there are thousands of great vegan kale recipes out there. All of them 100% delicious. You can't go wrong with kale, and it's so good for you too.

Today's kale recipe is from my cookbook Vegan Holiday Kitchen by Nava Atlas. I made the Red Quinoa Pilaf with Kale and Corn, but I used normal white quinoa instead. I'm fairly certain all quinoa tastes the same regardless of colour, but I don't know that for sure so maybe I'll conduct some of my own taste test experiments. 

This meal was so wonderfully light. It is perfect for winter or summer, and it makes for a great lunch. If you're anything like me, dinner has to be more substantial :P



Vegan Quinoa Pilaf with Kale and Corn
From the Vegan Holiday Kitchen cookbook by Nava Atlas

Serves 8

Ingredients
  • 1 ½ cups quinoa (any colour), rinsed in a fine sieve
  • 3 cups prepared vegetable broth or 3 cups water with 1 vegetable bouillon cube
  • 1 bunch kale (about 8 ounces)
  • 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 to 4 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels (I used mixed corn and peas)
  • 2 jarred roasted red peppers, cut into strips, or 1/3 cup oil-packed sundried tomatoes, cut into strips
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
  • salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Combine the quinoa with 2 cups broth in a medium saucepan. Bring to rapid simmer, then cover and continue to simmer gently until the broth is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. If the quinoa isn't quite done, add additional ½ cup broth (or water) and continue to cook until absorbed.
  2. strip the kale leaves away from the stems. Discard the stems, or slice them very thinly. Cut the kale leaves into narrow strips. Rinse well and set aside.
  3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add the garlic and saute over love heat until golden.
  4. Add the kale, stir together, and cover, raise the heat to medium and cook until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and cook, stirring frequently for 4 to 5 minutes longer. Transfer to serving bowl or casserole dish and serve at once, or cover until needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment