Thursday, November 14, 2013

Vegan Tofutti alfredo sauce

I'm sure I've ranted to you guys about how much I love the vegan product Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese. Well, it really is amazing! It's an American product but you can find it in the cream cheese section of most Woolworths around Perth.

Anyways, I was on their website a few months ago and saw that they make other dairy free products too, such as ice cream, sour cream and ricotta cheese. I was a bit disappointed that we couldn't get the full range over here in Perth, but the other day I was shopping at the upstairs IGA in the Joondalup shopping centre and saw that they stock heaps of the Tofutti products. There was the cream cheese (both plain and french onion flavour), sour cream and the ricotta. 

I decided to buy the sour cream and cream cheese with the hope to make a cheesecake using a recipe from my Native Foods cookbook but I still haven't had the chance. Instead, I did some Googling and found a recipe for vegan Alfredo sauce

I didn't have any fettuccine pasta so I just served it up with some wholemeal penne. This recipe is quite good and was creamy enough without making me feel too heavy. I roasted some cherry tomatoes, broccoli and mushroom and added this to the pasta as well. Love roasted broccoli! If you're bored of steamed broccoli then roasting it in the oven is a good way to go.



Vegan Tofutti Alfredo Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 1 package silken (soft) tofu
  • 1 tbsp soy margarine
  • 1/4 cup Tofutti Sour Supreme vegan sour cream
  • 2 tbsp Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese vegan cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese (I used the almond Parmesan that I made from here).
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • pasta

Directions:

  1. Place all ingredients (except pasta) into a blender. Blend into a creamy sauce, adding more soy milk to achieve desired consistency.
  2. Heat gently until hot, but do not boil.
  3. Serve over fettuccine pasta (or any pasta of your choice)

No comments:

Post a Comment